MAPPS will announce the winners of the seventh annual Geospatial Excellence Awards Competition on Wednesday, Feb. 12, 2014, during the banquet at the MAPPS 2014 Winter Conference at The Lodge at Torrey Pines in La Jolla, Calif.
The award ceremony had been scheduled to take place during the Geospatial and Engineering International Conference in November, but the conference was postponed because of the recent government shutdown.
The MAPPS awards competition recognizes the professionalism, value, integrity and achievement that member firms have demonstrated in their projects and technology developments over the previous year.
The Geospatial Products and Services Excellence Awards program has eight categories for projects and technologies delivered from Jan. 1, 2012, through May 31, 2013: airborne and satellite data acquisition; photogrammetry/elevation data generation; remote sensing; GIS/IT; small projects; surveying/field data collection; technology innovation and licensed data products. A Grand Award winner will be selected from the eight category winners to represent the MAPPS Project of the Year.
MAPPS also announced the judges for the Geospatial Excellence Awards Competition.
- Robert Burtch, professor-emeritus of the Surveying and Engineering Program at Ferris State University, Big Rapids, Mich. Burtch is the chair of the judges’ panel.
- Donn D. Dears, a retired General Electric Company executive now based in Chicago.
- Leonard Gilroy, the director of government reform at Reason Foundation, a Los Angeles nonprofit think tank advancing free markets.
- Neil Sandler, publisher of Professional Surveyor and the owner of Flatdog Media, parent company of Professional Surveyor Magazine/Aerial Mapping and owner of Spokes Magazine a bicycling magazine.
- John Hetzler, editor of Point of Beginning (POB).
Early registration for the Winter Conference is now open on the MAPPS website, www.mapps.org.