The most significant of the new features include:
- Expansion of the class field from 32 to 256 classes
- Well Known Text (WKT) encoding for coordinate reference system designation
- Support for scanner designation for multiple sensor laser systems such as mobile mappers
- Support for up to 15 return pulses for discrete pulse systems (waveform support was added at release 1.3)
- Maximum file size increased from 4 GB to a theoretical file size of 18 Exabytes
ASPRS President Gary Florence added “I am very pleased, not only with the outcome, but with the overall public comment and review process. The ASPRS LAS Working Group effectively resolved several contentious issues in a manner supportive of the broader community.” Florence also “commended ASPRS LiDAR Division Director Lewis Graham for his excellent leadership of the overall process, as well commended the many working group members who devoted themselves to this effort.”
The LAS version 1.4 specification was approved by the ASPRS Board of Directors on November 14, 2011 and is available for immediate use. The full specification can be downloaded from the ASPRS website at http://www.asprs.org/LAS_Specification.