We are enthusiastically launching into a new era for GLIS, and we ask for your continued support in building an even better organization, worthy of your membership. This is a great time for those wanting to be an integral part of a forward-thinking professional geospatial organization that provides opportunities, resources, and benefits to their members to join GLIS. GLIS intends to build our organization to be the national premier surveying and mapping organization for all that have an interest in promoting and working with geospatial data for the professional land surveying, geographic information systems, and engineering industries.
The benefits to GLIS membership include:
- Access to online training for continuing education. Each member will receive 2 hours of on-line ethics training for free, and discounts on other online courses.
- Access to the latest publication on science, business, technology, ethics, education, and theories with their online peer-reviewed journal SaLIS
- Access to open-source surveying and mapping software portal. This portal provides free software developed tools that work with existing surveying and mapping systems and software in use by surveying and mapping.
- Access to our online data and education text book series. GLIS has built and maintains links to free educational information concerning surveying and mapping.
- Access to archived SaLIS journals
- A multitude of opportunities to collaborate with other geospatial organizations
GLIS is ready to take advantage of all of the opportunities within the geospatial world. As GLIS grows, we will be looking for energetic individuals who are passionate about the geospatial industry and who are willing to champion, lead and participate on various task forces and committees including standards, education, and public relations. If you have an interest in working on any of these efforts, please contact one of the officers.
Our vision for GLIS is to further develop our organization to become the national go-to organization for surveying-related GIS concerns and issues. We plan to provide a continuing forum for communication and coordination between GIS and surveying professionals; develop useful educational events and materials; and support local, regional, and national cooperation among other GIS and surveying organizations. We intend to foster the development and adoption of useful standards, specifications, and procedures for the development and operation of land information systems. We are looking to create new ideas, new talent and new energy. GLIS full membership is currently open to all individuals and organizations that have an interest in the geospatial industry, which means that anyone can become a contributing, voting member at any point in their career. There are also opportunities for any member to become an officer/director of GLIS if they so choose.
Please visit our new website atwww.g-lis.org to join or renew your membership in GLIS. You have the option of paying your dues with a debit card, a credit card, a PayPal account or by check. Stay tuned to this new website for important new information in the coming weeks as we move forward.
Again, thank you for your support and dedication to our national organization. We look forward to working with you to promote the geospatial industry and strengthening this organization in the coming years. Comments can be sent to President@g-lis.org.