URISA welcomes nominations from any profession and is not restricted to those having a past or current relationship with URISA. This award is not given every year, and some years there may be multiple recipients.
The selection criteria for this honor are:
- At least 25 years of sustained professional involvement in the GIS field.
- Original and creative contributions to the field.
- Well known and respected by a wide range of peers.
- Consistent demonstration of sound professional and personal ethics.
- 2005 Inductees: Edgar Horwood, Ian McHarg, Roger Tomlinson, Jack Dangermond, Nancy Tosta, and the Harvard Lab
- 2006 Inductee: Dr. Gary Hunter
- 2007 Inductees: Don Cooke and Michael Goodchild
- 2009 Inductees: Will Craig and Carl Reed
- 2010 Inductee: C. Dana Tomlin