Autodesk Launches Web and Mobile Access to AutoCAD Designs
Autodesk, Inc., a leader in 3D design, engineering and entertainment software, announced the availability of AutoCAD WS, a new free* web application that uses cloud computing technology to enableAutoCAD software users to view, edit and share their AutoCAD designs and DWG files through web browsers and mobile devices. The AutoCAD WS mobile application for iOS is also now available as a free* app in the App Store for iPad, iPhone and iPod touch.
The AutoCAD WS web application was previously available as “Project Butterfly,” a technology preview on Autodesk Labs that was used by more than 75,000 people to view, edit and share AutoCAD designs through their web browsers.
“Through anytime anywhere access to AutoCAD designs, the AutoCAD WS web and iOS app greatly simplifies the way designers and engineers work in the field and with multiple stakeholders,” said Amar Hanspal, senior vice president, Autodesk Platform Solutions and Emerging Business. “Autodesk has a long history of making design more accessible, and AutoCAD WS is the latest example of how Autodesk is using cloud computing and mobile platforms to extend design beyond the desktop, while helping accelerate better design.”
With the commercial launch of AutoCAD WS, users can upload and manage designs in their online workspace directly from their AutoCAD desktop software through a new free* plug-in now available for download, or as part of the Subscription Advantage Pack for AutoCAD 2011. The plug-in is compatible with 2011 English language versions of AutoCAD, AutoCAD LT and other AutoCAD products. This capability will also be integrated into the soon to be released AutoCAD for Mac software.
AutoCAD WS enables AutoCAD users to conduct virtual design reviews with stakeholders across the globe, helping to avoid issues of version control and accuracy associated with design teams sharing files via email or relying on paper documentation in the field. Using an integrated service from Google Maps, AutoCAD WS also helps users to better demonstrate designs in their environments by underlaying maps in CAD drawings.
Additional AutoCAD WS functions include the following:
- Web and mobile DWG viewer provides access to AutoCAD drawings from anywhere using a web browser or mobile devices.
- Online DWG editor supports more than 100 familiar AutoCAD drawing and editing tools that are intuitive for CAD and non-CAD professionals alike.
- Built-in sharing provides the ability to generate a unique URL and invite stakeholders to view DWG files online, as well as set permission controls for how others can view, edit or download drawings and folders.
- Convenient online storage organizes DWG and DXF files, image files and other related documentation in project folders, with support for multiple file types, including DOC, JPEG, PNG and PDF.
- Real-time collaboration can enable people to work on the same DWG file simultaneously and to see changes reflected in the file as they are made.
- Design timeline captures and tracks all changes made to drawings for version control and auditing.
The AutoCAD WS mobile application for iOS is available for free* from the App Store on iPad, iPhone and iPod touch or at www.itunes.com/appstore.
For more information about AutoCAD WS or to download and learn about products compatible with the free* plug-in for AutoCAD software, visit www.autocadws.com.
*Free products and services are subject to the terms and conditions of the end-user license agreement that accompanies them.