All entries were displayed at GeoSpatial World, and an internationally recognized panel of judges chose winners on the first day of the conference. A first-place cash award of $1,000 (U.S.) and a first runner-up cash award of $500 (U.S.) were presented in each of three categories. Each award recipient also received complimentary registration to GeoSpatial World 2003. Winners honored at GeoSpatial World are:
Category I, Static Cartographic Maps
- Eliaz Shlomi, first-place, The Survey of ISRAEL
- Rocco Rabilotta Pisters, first runner-up, F.R. Facilities and Resources, S.A. de C.V.
Category II, Static GIS Maps
- Irena Szczepanik and John Murray, first-place, City of Hamilton
- Glenda Beijeman and Stuart Halliday, first runner-up, Environmental BOP Category III, Dynamic Interactive Presentations
- Marc Barthello and Jon Pollack, first-place, Transportation Engineering Agency
- David McCourt, first runner-up, Applied Technological Services, Inc.
The winning entries will be posted on the GeoSpatial World Web site after the conference. The panel of international judges who selected the winners for the Awards for Cartographic Excellence included:
- Vanessa Lawrence, general director and chief executive of Ordnance Survey, Great Britain
- Major Mike Cairns, officer commanding, Digital Production Squadron, Department of National Defense, Mapping and Charting Establishment, Canada
- James J. Sippel, associate director, Commercial Partnerships Division, Directorate of Analysis and Production at the National Imagery and Mapping Agency (NIMA), Virginia
- Jon Thies, cartographic consultant, Map Production Systems, Intergraph Mapping and GIS Solutions, Huntsville, Alabama
- Steven E. Mathews, executive manager, Mapping and GIS Services Division, Intergraph Mapping and GIS Solutions, Huntsville, Alabama