Trimble introduced the 5600 DR Standard Total Station and the 5600 DR300+ Total Station, two new EDM options within the Trimble 5600 Total Station Series. DR Standard and DR300+ are the latest additions to the Trimble Toolbox of Integrated Surveying solutions and are compatible with existing field and office software solutions.
The announcement was made at Intergeo 2002, the largest European conference on geodesy, geoinformatics and land management.
Eliminating the need for a glass prism ‘co-operative’ target and rod person at the measurement point, DR (Direct Reflex) technology allows distances to be taken directly off the measurement surface. Other advantages include increased speed, safety, productivity and profitability.
Based on the Phase Shift method and utilizing an eye-safe visible coaxial red laser and narrow measurement beam, the DR Standard is designed to measure extremely accurate short-range distances to cooperative and non-cooperative targets. Non-cooperative targets include any naturally occurring surface.
Applications for the DR Standard include:
- Short-range DR tasks up to 50m
- Interior building surveys and facilities management
- Building fa?es and architectural surveys
- Bridge and structure engineering surveys
- Tunnel surveys
The DR Standard measurement accuracy is ± (2mm + 2ppm) in prism mode and ± (3mm + 2ppm) in DR mode.
Based on patented Pulsed Laser Time-of Flight methods, the industry leading and eye-safe DR300+ EDM provides the longest range DR measurement capability currently available. Distances of more than 600m (~2,000ft) can be measured to white surfaces; gray surfaces of only 18% reflectivity can be measured from up to 300m (~1,000ft) away. The measurement accuracy of 3mm+3ppm and the fast measurement time are both retained at longer range.
Applications for the DR300+ include:
- Exterior surveys where DR measurement of more than 50m (164ft) is required
- Measurement to overhead cables
- Measurement to towers, chimneys and other tall objects
- Slope monitoring
- Measurement of quarry faces, mine walls and cliffs with fewer setups
- Pavement profiling without the need for road closures
- Urban as-built surveys
- Survey environments where long range measurement with eye-safe equipment is necessary
- Surveys where accurate long range measurement in only a few seconds is required