Velodyne LiDAR, Inc. introduced Alpha Prime, the next generation LiDAR sensor utilizing Velodyne’s patented surround view technology to deliver high performance to the autonomous mobility industry. The sensor is an unmatched solution in perception, field-of-view and range for autonomous markets including transportation, trucking and robotics, the company said. Offering a new level of power efficiency, the Alpha Prime is available for orders and delivery.
The Alpha Prime’s combination of breakthrough innovations allows vehicles to navigate in unfamiliar and dynamic settings. Capabilities to improve vehicle safety and enable more precise mapping include:
- Field-of-view: 360-degree surround view perception and a 40-degree vertical field-of-view.
- Effective performance in a wide variety of lighting conditions, including retro reflectors and sunlight mitigation.
- Detection of dark or low reflectance objects at long distances, such as tires, dark vehicles, low reflectivity pavement and low visibility pedestrians.
- Advanced negative obstacle perception, such as potholes and cracks in the road.
- High resolution along with robust reflectivity returns from over 4.8 million points per second, simplifying detection and tracking of vehicles, pedestrians and other obstructions.
- High resolution and laser calibration enable the sensor to localize vehicles —outdoors or indoors — without a GPS, for precise positioning.
- Improved eﬃciency for extended vehicle operating time within broad temperature and environmental ranges without the need for active cooling.
- Advanced sensor-to-sensor interference mitigation.