NASA BIM Facilities Manager Speaking at USIBD 2016
The building documentation event takes place Oct. 16-17 in Atlanta
The annual USIBD Symposium, which brings together professionals from the building documentation industry, has announced this year’s event speakers. This year’s symposium will take place Oct. 16-17 at the Hyatt Regency in Atlanta.
The keynote speaker, Errol Plata, NASA’sLangley Research Center’s (LaRC) BIM facilities manager, will present Oct. 16. Plata works the Center Operations Directorate’s (COD) GIS team, where he manages the center’s Revit building model inventory. He was hired to develop and implement a strategic BIM plan for NASA LaRC. The Plan involves intuitive web-based 3D viewers so everyone at LaRC, from engineers to maintenance technicians, can easily view the 3D building models and easily find the assets that need maintenance. Plata will discuss using USIBD’s LOA in his team’s projects.
Presentations for Monday, Oct. 17 are as follows:
- "Indoor GPS is a new market category that will transform the way the construction industry monitors its operations - for improved safety, efficiency, and analytics"- Antti Korhonen, President and CEO of Redpoint
- “Establishing a Virtual Collaborative Environment - Lessons from Lean Planners” - Brewton Couch, Technical Marketer at TouchPlan.io by Moca System
- “Real World Libraries: Point Clouds and the Revit Family Editor” - Scott Diaz, Director of Business Development, AEC Software at FARO Technologies, Inc.
- "Old, New and Revised Regulations That Create Hidden Liability in the Built Environment Due to Hazardous Materials" - Michael Sharp, Director of Training, UC Berkeley, and CEO of Hazardous Management Services
- “Why COBie? Why Now?”- William East, PhD, PE, F.ASCE, Owner, Prairie Sky Consulting
- "How Reality Capture Drives Innovative Approaches in Building Construction"- Cathi Hayes, Leica Geosystems
- “Things Spock Taught Us About BIM” - Jennifer Tsang, Academy of Learning Career College
- "How the Construction Industry is Mainstreaming the Utilization of BIM"-Tim Porter, Director of VDC for the Pike Company
- “How Might Specialists in Historic Preservation Apply Emerging Documentation Technologies to Their Benefit” - Brittany K.L. Mabry, Google
- “Level of Accuracy (LOA) and Level of Development (LOD): a Review of USIBD's LOA and BIMForum's LOD Specifications, and how they work together to reduce risk” - Will Ikerd, Ikerd Consulting and John M. Russo, AIA, Architectural Resource Consultants
Monday’s events include both breakfast and lunch, followed by a closing reception, co-hosted by BIMForum.
The U.S. Institute of Building Documentation (USIBD) is the first U.S. organization to focus solely on supporting the building documentation industry within the U.S. The USIBD is committed to advancing the interests of all stakeholder groups with an interest in building documentation. As such, the USIBD strives to provide its members with a network of support and information, comprised of industry professionals throughout the U.S. and Internationally.