The magazine staff visits Detroit's point of origin.
After Detroit's fire of 1805, Judge Woodward was appointed to oversee the plan to lay out the streets, squares and lots with the assistance of surveyors from Canada. They began their survey from the summit of a huge stone, which is still called the "Point of Origin" and is located in the center of Campus Martius Park at the junction of Woodward and Monroe. It is from this point that the city of Detroit's coordinate system was created.
Here the POB staff stands at the point of origin. Front row (left to right): Karen Kubiak, Eastern North America sales; Jan Wesch, classified sales; Dan Murfey, publisher; Diana Brown, group publisher; Lieca Brown, editor. Back row: Joseph V.R. Paiva, editorial consultant; Kimberly Jensen, managing editor.