Okay, I apologize in advance for the SIZE of these photo's, but I wanted to get enough detail to show the “chicken-wire.”
I have been using chicken-wire on aerial targets for a decade+ now (an idea I got from a geologist friend) and it really works good. In the two cases below, we used 12 inch targeting material, and 24 inch chicken-wire.
As you can see above, the rocks holding down the wire, do NOT obscure any of the target, and there is very little (if any) chance of the wind getting under the target (and screwing it up).
In the case above, there ain't a rock for miles, so we used 12 inch long plastic 'tent stakes' (which are hard to see in the photo) to hold down the wire. We bought the tent stakes in BULK, so they were pretty cheap (maybe 50 cents a pop or so, which works out to 16 bucks a target). That still adds up, but when you factor everything in, it's a pretty good deal for all concerned.