Safe Software today announced new advancements in spatial data access with the release of FME 2008. The release includes the unveiling of FME Server, a scalable solution for data transformation and distribution, as well as a new version of FME Desktop, the recognized standard in spatial ETL (extract, transform and load). Both solutions add new dimensions to spatial data access, giving even more users access to their data when, where and how they need it.
Safe Software Adds New Dimensions to Spatial ETL
Vancouver, BC, March 10, 2008 – Safe Software today announced new advancements in spatial data access with the release of FME 2008. The release includes the unveiling of FME Server, a scalable solution for data transformation and distribution, as well as a new version of FME Desktop, the recognized standard in spatial ETL (extract, transform and load). Both solutions add new dimensions to spatial data access, giving even more users access to their data when, where and how they need it.
"FME is unique in its unlimited ability to transform spatial data into any required data model," says Dale Lutz, Vice-President of Product Development at Safe Software. "FME 2008 brings this technology into the future by enabling transformation over the web and support for true 3D geometries, both of which will have significant impact on the GIS industry."
Bringing Spatial ETL to the Web
FME Server is the industry’s first enterprise-ready spatial ETL solution that brings the power of data transformation and distribution to users both inside and outside the organization. Built on a scalable, service-oriented architecture (SOA), FME Server centralizes spatial data conversion and distribution tasks to improve organizational efficiency while increasing end-user autonomy. FME Server does this through:
• Live Data Streaming: FME Server enables organizations to stream spatial data directly into mashups and web applications, increasing the speed of data access.
• Spatial Data Downloading: With FME Server, common data distribution tasks can be made available on the web, enabling users to directly get data whenever they need it and freeing geospatial professionals to focus on meeting other critical needs.
• Scalable Server Processing: FME Server provides high throughput data conversion capabilities enabling enterprises to more efficiently manage large spatial ETL projects and to participate in spatial data infrastructure (SDI) initiatives. As user demand grows, organizations can easily add more FME Engines to increase processing power.
Removing the Barriers to Spatial Data Conversion
FME Desktop is the only complete spatial ETL toolset to offer support for true 3D geometries and Building Information Modeling (BIM) data, freeing the exchange of data across more applications and platforms than ever before. FME can now integrate true 3D data with other systems such as raster, CAD, and GIS, opening new opportunities for how spatial data can be used.
FME Desktop 2008 also broadens overall integration opportunities with support for over 200 formats. Some highlights include:
• Popular formats such as AutoCAD Map 3D Object Data, GeoConcept Map, Adobe PDF, Industry Foundation Class STEP Files (IFC) and LandXML
• Database formats such as Oracle 11g and Microsoft SQL Server Spatial 2008
• Web formats such as KML 2.2 and GeoJSON
New web format support enables users to take advantage of the rapidly growing number of web services, providing even more flexibility for data conversion.
FME 2008 is a testament to Safe Software’s ongoing dedication to advancement and innovation. Its unmatched format support, web based data access and scalable transformation capabilities make spatial data more accessible than ever before. To learn more, visit www.safe.com
FME Desktop 2008 – March 14, 2008
FME Server 2008 – April 2008
About Safe Software and FME
Safe Software powers the flow of spatial data with its software platform, FME. The recognized standard in spatial ETL (extract, transform and load), FME is the only complete solution for data conversion. It delivers the most extensive format support for data translation and integration, and provides unlimited flexibility in data model transformation and distribution.
FME is used by thousands of customers worldwide in a variety of industries including government, utilities, and petroleum. Its powerful data access technology also makes FME the choice of leading GIS, CAD, and database vendors for integration into their own solutions. Designed for true data interoperability, FME unleashes spatial data so people can use it where, when, and how they want to. For more information, visit www.safe.com