- SPECIAL REPORTS
- THE MAGAZINE
Map Asia 2002 is poised for a grand maiden launch with participation of over 500 delegates from different parts of the continent. The conference is scheduled from 7-9 August 2002 and is the first Asian International Conference and Exhibition in the field of mapping technologies of GIS, GPS, Aerial Photography and Remote Sensing. This conference will provide a platform for discussion on education status, industry applications, spatial data policy, data mining and accessibility in the Asian region.
Objectives of the conference are to:
- To help the Asian community redefine and improvise regional cooperation.
- Understand the spatial problems in regional perspective.
- Highlight the immediate need for the growth the private sector, and non-governmental organisations (NGOs) in the field of Geoinformatics to stimulate a well-balanced cooperation between governmental, academic and industrial sectors.
- To provide a regional platform, bringing together all concerned government, private organisation with GIS technology and facilitate interaction, discussion, and collaboration amongst the participants.
- Provide a platform to share the latest developments in the field of Geoinformatics to a large gathering of people, which include top decision makers, existing as well as prospective users, academicians, vendors, policy makers and representatives of various NGOs and international organizations working for promoting the cause of this technology.
Keynote sessions at the conference will include
- Geoinformatics Education in Asia
- Spatial Data Infrastructure (SDI)
- Technology Trends
Apart from the keynote sessions there will be 19 technical sessions on various industry applications and technology shows by MapInfo, HP, Autodesk and National Remote Sensing Agency (NRSA), India. A Galaxy of renowned speakers from academia, industry, government and non-government organisation are scheduled to address the conference on various themes. Key Note speakers include Prof. Shunji Murai, Secretary General, Asian Association of Remote Sensing, Japan; Dr. Wicha Jiwalai, Chairman, GISTDA, Thailand; Prof. Karl Harmsen, Director, UNCSSTE-AP, India; Dr. Hui Lin, Hongkong; Dr. Franz Steidler, Switzerland; Mr. Amitabha Pande, Joint Secretary, Department of Science and Technology, Government of India; Dr. Suvit Vibulsresth, Director General, GISTDA, Thailand; Sean Richards, Product Manager, MapInfo Australia Pty Ltd; Mr. Ravi Gupta, Director, CSDMS, India; Dr. Franz Steidler, Switzerland; Mr. Denis Branthonne, Product Manager, Autodesk, Singapore; Mr. K. R. Sridhar Murthy, Executive Director, Antariksh Corporation, Bangalore, India;
At Map Asia 2002, an exhibition on GIS, GPS, Remote Sensing, Aerial Photography and related technologies will be organized. It offers an opportunity for the companies to not only present their technology to potential users but also to update about the developments in their products and services to their existing users. Besides, a special campaign would be launched ensure a large number of visitors to the Exhibition.
For more information about the conference visit: www.mapasia.org