Latest Headlines

National Work Zone Awareness Week--Memorial Dedicated To Lives Lost In Highway Work Zones 04.09.2003

April 9, 2003
/ Print / Reprints /
ShareMore
/ Text Size+
AGC calls for legislative initiatives to protect workers and motorists.

Today marks the beginning of National Work Zone Safety Awareness Week, an annual event dedicated to improving public awareness of the dangers posed to motorists and construction workers by highway work zones. As part of the opening event, a "Work Zone Memorial," comprised of 1,100 orange cones commemorates those who perish each year in highway work zones will be on display at Freedom Plaza in Washington, D.C. on Tuesday, April 8, 2003. The Associated General Contractors of America (AGC) is a leading proponent of making safety in highway work zones a national priority.

AGC CEO Stephen E. Sandherr who will address attendees at the Work Zone Memorial said, "Making work zones safer is the responsibility of us all. As our highway infrastructure ages and our population expands, road construction will play a vital role in to meeting these growing needs. As motorists represent 80% of work zone fatalities, this year's event is focused on motorist safety; however it's important to remember that the remaining 20% are construction workers who should be remembered and protected."

"Work Zone safety is a priority for AGC in the TEA-21 Reauthorization Legislation. AGC is calling upon Congress to include incentives to allow for more use of law enforcement in work zones, as well as greater use of barriers to separate motorists and workers," added Sandherr.

While safe work zone safety is the responsibility of the construction industry, the public also has a duty to drive alertly and within the work zone's speed limit. This year's Work Zone Safety Awareness Week seeks to improve communication with motorists about highway projects, an issue on which AGC is preparing a list of recommendations to submit to state highway agencies.

The Associated General Contractors of America (AGC) is the largest and oldest national construction trade association in the United States. AGC represents more than 35,000 firms, including 7,500 of America's leading general contractors, and over 12,000 specialty-contracting firms. Over 14,000 service providers and suppliers are associated with AGC through a nationwide network of chapters. Visit the AGC Web site at www.agc.org. AGC members are "Building Your Quality of Life.

Did you enjoy this article? Click here to subscribe to POB

You must login or register in order to post a comment.

Multimedia

Videos

Image Galleries

HxGN Live

More than 3,500 attendees from more than 70 countries attended HxGN Live, the annual Hexagon AB user conference, at the MGM Grand Hotel & Casino in Las Vegas on June 3-6. About 450 keynotes and panel discussions were held, and several companies from around the world exhibited their geospatial products. Here are a few snapshots from the event.

9/30/14 2:00 pm EDT

Technical Workflows on the Job Site Using 3D Laser Scanning

The purpose of this webinar is to dig into different laser scanning workflows and techniques.

POB

POB September 2014

2014 September

In this September 2014 issue of POB, we take a look at a book that reveals how a rare-map dealer made millions stealing ancient maps. Also, discover the secrets of a 21st-century surveyor and how technology enables small surveying businesses to ease growing pains and maximize their potential.

Table Of Contents Subscribe

Surveying Career

Would you recommend surveying as a career to a current college student?
View Results Poll Archive

Point of Beginning Store

M:\General Shared\__AEC Store Katie Z\AEC Store\Images\POB\epubsite\Statues-pic-large.gif
Surveyor Statues

The perfect gift or award for any special occasion.

More Products

Clear Seas Research

Clear Seas ResearchWith access to over one million professionals and more than 60 industry-specific publications, Clear Seas Research offers relevant insights from those who know your industry best. Let us customize a market research solution that exceeds your marketing goals.

Geo Locator

Buyers Guide

The #1 buyers' guide for land surveyors and geomatics professionals. Search listings for software and equipment manufacturers, equipment dealers and professional services. CLICK HERE to view GeoLocator.

STAY CONNECTED

Facebook logo Twitter logo  LinkedIn logo  YouTube logoRPLS small logo

Google +