Maptech Highlights Land Surveyors Use of Terrain Navigator Pro Online Discussions 7.6.04
Showcasing how land surveyors use Terrain Navigator Pro, Maptech has collected detailed comments and projects from a variety of surveyors at http://www.maptech.com/land/LandSurvey/index.cfm.
Terrain Navigator Pro combines USGS topographic maps with aerial photos (DOQQs) at 1-meter resolution. The purpose of the special Land Surveyor web page is for other surveyors to learn and communicate with their peers in the many uses for Terrain Navigator Pro.
In the near future Maptech plans add a special peer-to-peer forum hosted by a land surveyor to answer surveyor's questions and share valuable tips in using Terrain Navigator Pro. For a comprehensive online tour on Terrain Navigator Pro see http://www.maptech.com/land/TerrainNavigatorpro/index.cfm.
Popular uses noted by surveyors--beyond the basic "where is it" question includes:
- Finding vertical and horizontal control for GPS work
- Exporting quad and aerial images
- Initial planning and research before going out to the field
- Using the 3D feature for a real sense of what a fly-over will look like
- Useful presentation tool for clients to better understand the project
- Excellent tool for submittals to planning and zoning boards
- All the USGS topos at your fingertips
- Print out the quads from the CDs
- Makes accessing and printing datasheets for NGS benchmarks a breeze
- GIS/CAD export function allows user to quickly bring descriptive background into AutoCAD drawings. A big hit with clients.
- Comes with a free ArcGIS 9.0 (8.1 and later)extension and a Getting Started Guide at http://info.maptech.com/arcgis/
- Saves time and increases efficiency--both in the office and field
- Useful tool to project cost estimates for jobs
- Works with Pocket and Tablet PCs for greater office to field work communication and data collection
See http://www.maptech.com/land/LandSurvey/index.cfm for a full presentation.
Source: Maptech, June 30, 2004