rpls.com Connection

January 27, 2002
/ Print / Reprints /
ShareMore
/ Text Size+
Here are a few messages from a thread called “Staying warm?”

Posted By James Henry on 12/23/2001 at 3:03 PM
I wear a pair of ski pants when working outside during the winter. I like it a lot better than long underwear because you can take them off easily when you are done at the jobsite. Then you aren’t stuck wearing the long underwear when you are back in the office working. The ski pants are Gore-Tex also, so I stay nice and dry if I get caught in a snowstorm.

Posted By Scott Partridge on 12/23/2001 at 4:26 PM
Layers, layers, layers of clothes.

This creates lots of air pockets that act as insulators. You can add layers or remove them when necessary as the temperature varies. How many layers? Everyone has his own comfort level... it also depends on if you’re standing behind the gun all day vs. running a power saw.

Posted By Norm Thomas on 12/23/2001 at 9:12 PM
I use two sets of long johns, the first layer China silk, second layer polypropylene extreme cold weather system (a.k.a. e.c.w.s. army issue.) I then add a hooded sweatshirt and a fleece pullover. That usually will keep me warm down to zero degrees standing or walking. Anything below zero, I’ll put on the insulated Carhartts. I also wear a fleece face mask and fingerless glove/mitts. Good luck staying warm! N.T.

Posted By Tom Johnson on 12/23/2001 at 9:39 PM
Give me wool! I have tried polypropylene, cotton and even duo-fold wool blend. By far the warmest long johns I have used are coarse gray wool I bought from Cabela’s about 17 years ago. They are now patched together with pieces of wool shirts but I still consider them the best. If you are moving around a lot in snow I suggest wool pants. You can’t get a better material for winter clothing than wool. Carhartts are the standby in this country and used in conjunction with heavy insulated boots when standing behind the gun.

Posted By s holt on 12/23/2001 at 10:00 PM
We’ve had some 15 to 20 below weather here lately. I wear my snow machine bibs, pac boots and layer with polar jackets for the activity level. The biggest problem is the HP48. It really freezes the display and slows down your work. I have to stop and warm it up in the truck now and then.

Posted By David Cook, PLS on 12/23/2001 at 10:15 PM
In northern Maine we use wool pants and polypropylene long johns. The biggest problem for me was my feet until I bought a $250 pair of super-insulated boots from L.L. Bean. Got to keep even heated data collectors under your jacket between stations. I use two different pairs of gloves, one lightweight for running the gun is kept under the jacket between stations. Pocket hand warmers and snowmobiles with heaters help also.

Posted By Pablo Reid on 12/23/2001 at 10:27 PM
I carry a duffel/travel bag behind my seat in my quad cab. I have it packed for any type of weather. Normally Carhartt (red lined) bib overalls with a North Face Gore-Tex coat works well to about 30 mph wind and 10 degrees. When the wind howls and the temps get down in the -10 to 20s, I wear the black Carhartt extreme bibs, with a neck gaiter, Balacava (head cover) and a North Face Windstopper Coat. I have problems with gloves because I like to be able to have the touch of the data collector and pencil when writing notes and sledgehammering, so I buy cheap little disposable hand warmers that fit inside the cotton gloves and it works well. For boots I bought a pair of Cabela’s Rocky Snowstalker Extreme that are rated to -135 degrees and they are the next best thing to duct tape, balin wire and JB Weld. They are comfortable from 20 degrees to

-40 degrees. When I get in the truck and get ready to head back to civilization I just strip off the Carhartts and coat and remain reasonably comfortable inside the truck and office. With experience working on the North Slope of Alaska and the windy high plains of Wyoming during the winter, I buy expensive gear and it works very well. Beats the hell out of being stuck in the office. Pablo

Did you enjoy this article? Click here to subscribe to POB

You must login or register in order to post a comment.

Multimedia

Videos

Image Galleries

HxGN Live

More than 3,500 attendees from more than 70 countries attended HxGN Live, the annual Hexagon AB user conference, at the MGM Grand Hotel & Casino in Las Vegas on June 3-6. About 450 keynotes and panel discussions were held, and several companies from around the world exhibited their geospatial products. Here are a few snapshots from the event.

9/30/14 2:00 pm EDT

Technical Workflows on the Job Site Using 3D Laser Scanning

The purpose of this webinar is to dig into different laser scanning workflows and techniques.

POB

POB September 2014

2014 September

In this September 2014 issue of POB, we take a look at a book that reveals how a rare-map dealer made millions stealing ancient maps. Also, discover the secrets of a 21st-century surveyor and how technology enables small surveying businesses to ease growing pains and maximize their potential.

Table Of Contents Subscribe

Surveying Career

Would you recommend surveying as a career to a current college student?
View Results Poll Archive

Point of Beginning Store

M:\General Shared\__AEC Store Katie Z\AEC Store\Images\POB\epubsite\Statues-pic-large.gif
Surveyor Statues

The perfect gift or award for any special occasion.

More Products

Clear Seas Research

Clear Seas ResearchWith access to over one million professionals and more than 60 industry-specific publications, Clear Seas Research offers relevant insights from those who know your industry best. Let us customize a market research solution that exceeds your marketing goals.

Geo Locator

Buyers Guide

The #1 buyers' guide for land surveyors and geomatics professionals. Search listings for software and equipment manufacturers, equipment dealers and professional services. CLICK HERE to view GeoLocator.

STAY CONNECTED