Malaysian Department of Survey and Mapping to Implement Intergraph Solutions 01.24.2003
The Department of Survey and Mapping Malaysia (DSMM), the government agency responsible for all topographic mapping in Malaysia, has chosen Intergraph's GIS, cartographic, and photogrammetric solutions for its new Fast Mapping System. The Fast Mapping System is designed to provide geospatial data to the various departments within the Malaysian government. Intergraph Systems South East Asia, an exclusive representative of U.S.-based Intergraph Corporation, and its Malaysian affiliate, Antaragrafik Systems Sdn, Bhd., is responsible for the supply, implementation, and deployment of the products and services.
The Department of Survey and Mapping Malaysia's mandate is to develop an enterprise GIS and mapping system that produces sophisticated, integrated spatial information in a variety of digital products and is readily available to the country's decision makers within various government departments. Interoperability will be key to quickly generating and delivering accurate geospatial data including terrain models, satellite photography, and fly-through simulations.
Upgrading from standalone UNIX rapid map scanning and publishing solutions from Intergraph, DSMM required an integrated, expanded solution with interoperability across multiple GIS, cartographic, and photogrammetric applications. In addition, the department needed to produce digital mapping output in international standard formats and as vector line maps and orthophotos. The department's choice to implement Intergraph's solutions supports its need for an open technology approach. Antaragrafik, an authorized Intergraph Reseller in Malaysia, is working with DSMM to help the organization make the transition to the new Intel/Windows environment. Antaragrafik is responsible for implementing the system, which includes mapping workflow customization, network design, and storage area network (SAN) configuration. Implementation has begun, with an expected completion date of mid-2003.
Using GeoMedia technology to facilitate seamless access across a variety of applications and formats, DSMM expects to streamline daily mapping workflows, reducing the time and cost associated with the creation, modification, and extraction of geospatial data. The system will allow DSMM to collect, process, output, and store geospatial data from multiple sources including photogrammetric input, Radarsat satellite imagery, digital terrain models, scanned maps, and other digital data repositories. TerraShare technology from Z/I Imaging, an Intergraph wholly owned subsidiary, will speed the management and distribution of geoimaging data across the enterprise. Additional functionality provided in the DSMM solution includes:
- Photogrammetric - Capture of 3D features and DTM from stereo aerial or satellite imagery as well as seamless orthophoto generation
- Remote Sensing - Manipulation of multi- and hyperspectral imagery including Radarsat imagery and derived DTM's
- Storage - Large capacity centralized storage system for single point backup
- GIS & Cartographic - Creation of a single repository for the storage of all geospatial data, including vectors, DTM's, and non-graphic attributes in an open, seamless database using Oracle's 9i database
- Visualization - Generation of dynamic fly-through and terrain simulations covering very large area of operations. Antaragrafik Systems Sdn. Bhd. Since being established in 1996, Antaragrafik has rapidly grown its geospatial business throughout the country and today employs more than 30 people in both East and West Malaysia. As a local vendor for world-class solution providers, Antaragrafik has distinguished itself by designing and delivering leading-edge turnkey solutions utilizing its own staff and leveraging its partner's skills base, when needed. The FMS project is the largest single project awarded to Antaragrafik.