Trimble Introduces New Features for RealWorks Survey Software
Trimble introduced a new version of RealWorks Survey software for surveyors and engineers that leverages the rich point-cloud data set provided by today's advanced 3D laser scanners. The new software version incorporates a series of new precision tools and features for civil survey, building, heritage, forensic and other applications, allowing surveyors to produce 2D and 3D information for direct output or export to AutoCAD or MicroStation software design packages.
Trimble RealWorks Survey software version 5.0 provides the user with an enhanced set of tools for processing 3D point clouds and 2D images in order to obtain the necessary information for their applications or projects. Trimble RealWorks Survey is complemented by RealWorks Survey Lite, a compact version that allows surveyors to offer enhanced deliverables in both 2D and 3D format, which clients may then visualize, manipulate, print or partially edit.
The new features include:
- EasyProfile feature, which represents the first step to automatic recognition generation of 2D/3D drawings, allowing almost direct export into major CAD packages, including AutoCAD and MicroStation. This feature uses a pre-positioned profile (fitted to a cross-section of the point cloud) to track through the point cloud. Feature lines are then automatically extracted according to break-points in the guide profile.
- Large database management, which allows users to subdivide large projects into data subsets in a variety of ways, making 3D point clouds and 2D image processing easier and quicker.
- Powerful new inspection tools-twin-surface inspection, surface-to-model inspection and surface-to-curve inspection-which allow users to perform CAD 5 to point cloud comparisons. The multiple inspection tasks include generating and visualizing inspection maps using the customizable color bar; obtaining graphic visualizations of gaps and deformations; importing profiles and geometric primitives in .dxf or .dwg; and exporting graphic files in .dxf.
- A multi-orthoprojection tool, which allows users to create aligned multi-orthoimages on successive facades of a building. Users can either create or import drawings, and extrude the segments corresponding to the facade walls along the Z-axis to define the successive projection planes. Users can choose to preview each orthoimage and create them individually or simultaneously. The final results can be exported to a DXF file with references to each orthoimage exported as geo-TIFF file.
- Profile Fitter, which allows internally generated or imported profiles to be interactively positioned relative to the point cloud.
In addition, RealWorks Survey version 5.0 enhances volume calculations, regardless of the point-cloud density. Now volume calculations can be calculated either between a scanned surface and a user-defined plane or between two scanned surfaces, with the user defining the grid density.
A free point cloud data viewer, RealWorks Viewer, is available for download on the Web at: http://www.trimble.com/realworks.shtml. RealWorks Viewer is a utility that allows final clients, colleagues and partners to visualize deliverables in 3D without requiring any additional work or conversion in the powerful native RealWorks format and virtually any other 3D laser scanner format.
Trimble's RealWorks Survey software is available now through Trimble's Engineering and Construction Division dealer network.
Source: Trimble, July 1, 2005